The Spanish Arch ; built in 1584 and
located on the banks of the River Corrib, as an extension of the city walls that
protected the quay.
City Museum ; situated into one of its walls of the Spanish Arch, displays
antiques and implements that were used in Galway many years ago.
Lynch's Castle ; a fine stone
building and a townhouse which dates back to the 14th century. Mayor Lynch,
reputed to have hanged his son for murder.
Lynch's Castle was once the
home to the most powerful family in Galway. This incredible
limestone building is a fine example of an Irish gothic
Blakes Castle in the heart of
Galway town, was a 15th century town house of the Blakes.
Used later as a town jail up to the 19th century, it is now
restored as part of a hotel.
Cathedral of our Lady
Erected on the site of an old jail in 1965, this massive church is constructed
in Galway limestone with green Connemara marble floors and was one of the last
Cathedrals in Europe made from stone.
Collegiate Church of St Nicholas of
Built in 1320, this is one of the largest medieval parish churches in Ireland
and is dedicated to the patron saint of travellers. The church contains
elaborate tombs, chapels and some of the finest examples of Galway's medieval
stone carvings and flags of forgotten wars.
Galway's most important medieval street is home to Busker Browne's Pub which
contains part of the 'Slate Nunnery', given to the Dominican nuns in 1686 by
John Kirwan. Further down the lane is were Wolfe Tone played in the little
theatre founded by 'Humanity' Dick Martin in the 18th century.
National University of Galway,
established as one of the Queens' Colleges in Ireland in 1845 and it officially
opened in 1849. The oldest and prettiest part of the college (the "Quadrangle")
is a replica of the corresponding building at Oxford University.
Courthouse and Town Hall Theatre
These two buildings stand opposite each other.
Located on part of the site of the Friary founded in 1296 by William Liath de
The Bridge Mills
Two mills, one is a converted grain mill the another had a variety of uses
including a woollen mills.