Browse by Categories
  Towns / Villages
  Arts / Crafts
  Business Directory
  Leisure Activities
  Photo Gallery
  What’s on
Eyre Square Galway City Ireland
Home Advertise Contact Us

Accommodation  ~ Hotels  ~ B&B  ~ Self Catering  ~ Hostels  ~ Restaurants 
Property  ~  Business Listings  ~  Attractions  ~  Activities  ~  Maps

Eyre Square    ~   Galway City   ~   Other Suburbs
The plot of land that became Eyre Square was officially presented to the city in 1710 by Mayor Edward Eyre, from whom it took its name.
Originally surrounded with a wooden fence, it was enclosed with iron railings in the late 1700s.
These were removed in the 1960s, and subsequently re-erected around St Nicholas' Collegiate Church.
Eyre Square Galway City Ireland
In 1965, the square was officially renamed "Kennedy Memorial Park" in honour of US President John F. Kennedy, who visited Galway city shortly before his assassination in 1963.

There are two large, cast-iron cannons which were presented in recognition of the service of the Connaught Rangers, an Irish Regiment in the British Army, in the Crimean War. A statue of Irish language writer Pádraic Ó Conaire was erected in the memory in 1935. There is a bust of a portrait of U.S. President John F. Kennedy in the park.

A walk around
Eyre Square takes in the following :

The Bank of Ireland
Built in 1836, houses the Galway Civic Sword and Mace which where authority symbols of the Mayor and Corporation, dating back to the 16th and 17th Centuries respectively.

Eyre Square Shopping Centre
Contains a restored section of the Medieval City Wall with Penrice Tower at the northern end and Shoemakes Tower standing above an entry leading to an underground section of the 1647 bastion.

"The Greene"
was the original name for the open area in front of the city gates. It was officially presented to the city in 1670 by the Mayor, Edward Eyre (hence the name Eyre Square)

The Browne Doorway
Dated 1627, was originally the entrance to the Browne family mansion in Abbeygate Street. Moved to its current position in 1904 by the Galway Archological Society.

These two 19th century iron cannon were brought back from the Crimean war 1854-56 by the local regiment - The Connaught Rangers.

Quincentennial Fountain
Erected in 1984, Eamon O'Doherty's work commemorates the 500th Anniversary of the incorporation of Galway City as a borough with Mayoral Status. It symbolises the importance of the sea for trade in Galway.

The O'Conaire Statue
Depicts Padraic O'Conaire (1882 - 1928) a pioneer writer of modern Gaelic.


Towns & Localities in County Galway

 Aran Islands | Athenry | Ballinasloe | Ballygar | Barna | Carna | Carraroe | Claregalway | Clarinbridge | Clifden | Clonbur | Corofin
Connemara | Corrandulla | Dunmore | Galway City | Glenamaddy | Gort | Headford | Kinvara | Leenane | Loughrea | Milltown | Monivea
 Mountbellew | Moycullen | Oranmore | Oughterard | Portumna | Renvyle | Salthill | Spiddal | Tuam | Turloughmore | Williamstown

home | towns | accommodation | B&B | hotels | self catering | arts | attractions | business | education | wap
employment | entertainment | festivals | genealogy | heritage | industry | leisure | links | maps | news | gallery
 political | property | restaurants | shopping | sporting | tourism | travel | weather | what's on | advertise | contact

Website designed by Western-Webs, Tuam County Galway Ireland 

©2007 County Galway Guide, all rights reserved