Browse by Categories
  Home
  Towns / Villages
  Accommodation
  Arts / Crafts
  Attractions
  Business Directory
  Classifieds
  Education
  Employment
  Entertainment
  Festivals
  Genealogy
  Heritage
  Industry
  Leisure Activities
  Links
  Maps
  News
  Photo Gallery
  Political
  Property
  Restaurants
  Shopping
  Sporting
  Tourism
  Travel
  Weather
  What’s on
St Nicholas Church Galway City
Home Advertise Contact Us

Accommodation  ~ Hotels  ~ B&B  ~ Self Catering  ~ Hostels  ~ Restaurants 
Property  ~  Business Listings  ~  Attractions  ~  Activities  ~  Maps
 
   

St Nicholas Church    ~   Galway City   ~   Other Suburbs
 
 
The Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas is the largest medieval parish church in Ireland in continuous use as a place of worship.
 
It was founded in 1320, dedicated (like many other European churches in seaports) to Saint Nicholas of Myra, the patron saint of seafarers. The church now belongs to the Church of Ireland.
St Nicholas Church Galway City
     
The church was raised to the status of a collegiate church by letters under the seal of Donatus O'Murray, the Archbishop of Tuam, on September 28, 1484, the same year in which Galway was granted a Royal Charter and given mayoral status. The granting of collegiate status was confirmed on September 8, 1485, by a papal bull issued by Pope Innocent VIII (Super Dominicum Gregem). Both events were commemorated in the Galway quincentennial year, 1984.

The granting of collegiate status in 1484 required that the City of Galway, and some surrounding parishes, be severed from the Archdiocese of Tuam. The priests of the city were constituted into a College of Vicars, the senior of whom was to called the warden. The warden, a position and title unique in Irish ecclesiastical history, was the spiritual leader of the city and was entitled wear attire traditionally associated with a bishop (such as the mitre and crosier), while not having the power of ordination. The warden and eight assisting vicars choral were elected every year in August by the mayor and members of the Corporation (city council) as then constituted. The warden presented himself for election every year; there was to be an election for the post of vicar only when there was a vacancy. The vicars were elected from the secular clergy, for life. The clergy were to be learned, virtuous and well-bred, and were to observe the English rite and custom in the Divine Service.

Over the centuries, St. Nicholas' has played a central role in the life of the city. For many years, the triennial elections of the mayor and corporation (city council) were held within its walls. Only male members of 14 select Galway families, known as the Tribes of Galway, had suffrage.
 
Local legend states that Christopher Columbus worshipped there when he visited the city in 1477.
 
 
 

 

 
Towns & Localities in County Galway

 Aran Islands | Athenry | Ballinasloe | Ballygar | Barna | Carna | Carraroe | Claregalway | Clarinbridge | Clifden | Clonbur | Corofin
Connemara | Corrandulla | Dunmore | Galway City | Glenamaddy | Gort | Headford | Kinvara | Leenane | Loughrea | Milltown | Monivea
 Mountbellew | Moycullen | Oranmore | Oughterard | Portumna | Renvyle | Salthill | Spiddal | Tuam | Turloughmore | Williamstown
 

home | towns | accommodation | B&B | hotels | self catering | arts | attractions | business | education | wap
employment | entertainment | festivals | genealogy | heritage | industry | leisure | links | maps | news | gallery
 political | property | restaurants | shopping | sporting | tourism | travel | weather | what's on | advertise | contact

Website designed by Western-Webs, Tuam County Galway Ireland 

©2007 County Galway Guide, all rights reserved